Table of Contents
When you’re ready to rework your home space without knocking down walls, add on a small or large addition to your home or even start to build your own dream home, it’s important to connect with the right type of architect who can help you achieve your dream project.
There are quite a few different types of architects who offer incredible services for their niche of choice, but if you’re looking to do some home renovations and remodels, look no further than a residential architect.
Blueprint of a Residential Architect
Architects are artists in their own right. They marry science, physics, aesthetics and art to create buildings, homes, and other structures.
All architects start out in a similar way by getting a college degree.
After that, they can intern, train and separate off into their own niche such as commercial, landscape, urban, green design, architecture design and interior design.
A residential architect becomes licensed in the state they work in to create custom, unique or one-of-a-kind homes for their clients.
When partnering with a RA (residential architect) you won’t have to worry or stress about making everything fit and making everything work. They are the experts and can help you every step of the way from concept to design to construction and finishing touches.
Typical Duties of an Residential Architect
You may think that architects only draw up the blueprints or the design of a home but in reality they do so much more.
Here are just a few examples of duties that a residential architect performs during their partnership with a client:
- Meet with client and discuss project
- Create a plan along with a needs and wants list to ensure they can create everything in mind
- Review budget and completion deadline (these can change throughout the course of the project but this sets a foundation and starting point)
- Determine what approvals, permits and other access is needed to start the project.
- Use technology to create blueprints, schematic design, and 3D renderings to create different versions of the project and edit or add as they see fit.
- Work with clients on types of material and appliances that will be used to complete the project ( i.e., light fixtures, where electrical outlets will need to be, windows, doors and type of building materials like wood, concrete, brick, etc.)
- Once the client has approved the final design, materials and other items needed for the project the architect will help them hire the right people to build the project. This can range from lighting engineers, contractors, carpenters, structural engineers, landscape architects and more.
- An architect typically has an array of partners that they’ve worked with in the past and can help to recommend businesses that they know they trust and work well with.
- At this phase your architect will apply for permits, get approvals to build and set up the timeline for the construction process.
- You’ve made it to the construction phase! This is where everything comes together and your architect will act as that point of contact during the entire construction phase.
- They will check in with the builders to ensure the timeline is being met, they will work with you and the contractors side by side to determine any last minute changes or details that need to be made and they will also help to eliminate any issues that might come up in the best way possible.
- They will schedule a building inspector to come out and make sure that everything is up to code and approve the finished project.
Partner with Studio S. Architekts
As leaders in the San Antonio residential architecture services industry, we pride ourselves on being able to provide the services listed above with exceptional expertise and knowledge. We go above and beyond for our clients and offer more than just residential design services.
We ensure that all of our projects are created using state of the art technology and the highest quality materials available on the market. We partner with incredible businesses to help you go from concept to project completion as stress free as possible.
To learn more about our services visit our projects or services page or review our previous blog, How is Studio S. Architekts different from other architects?
If you have a project in mind, connect with us today to see how we can make your idea a reality!